Payday Lending Bill Needs Your Voice – Take Action for Kentucky
The push for a 36% rate cap needs your phone call to your state Representative. The call is toll-free and takes minutes: 1-800-372-7181
Please share this message with your organization’s members and friends.
- KCRL joined with Rep. Darryl Owens for new conference in support of House Bill 182. KCRL released new public opinion polling showing 73% of KY voters support a 36% cap on payday loans.
- Rep. Jeff Greer, Chair of House Banking & Insurance has rescheduled the HB 182 hearing to Wednesday, Feb. 16 at 10:00 a.m. in Capitol Annex Room 149.
- Rep. Darryl Owens (Louisville) filed House Bill 182 seeking a 36% cap on payday loans interest rates; 24 House co-sponsors signed-on;
- House Speaker, Rep. Greg Stumbo (Prestonsburg), is quoted as saying the “data is in on payday lending”;
- Rep. Jeff Greer (Brandenburg), Chair House Banking & Insurance Committee has publically spoken favorably about hearing HB 182 in B&I Committee;
- Lawmakers return to Frankfort on February 1 for Part II of their 30-day session;
- We’ve come this far because of your efforts, and we need to keep getting the message out.
What You Can Do: Contact your state representatives before February 1st.
Today, our message is simple:
- As long as the state permits 400% interest rates on payday loans, families’ economic recovery will be hampered.
- The database shows that right here, right now, payday loans are long-term debt, not the quick easy fix they claim.
- Waiting will not help. The new data makes the case for capping the rates at 36%, just as Congress has done for the military and 17 states have done.
Connecting with Legislators:
Call – Governor Steve Beshear: 1-502-564-2611
Call – Senators and Representatives toll-free on their Legislative Message Line:
1-800-372-7181 • TTY Messages 1-800-896-0305 • En Español 1-866-840-6574
Find your representatives in the General Assembly online: www.lrc.ky.gov
Send your representatives email: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Mailform/mailform.htm
Find KCRL on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/kyresponsiblelending
The LRC Message Center is open Monday – Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. and Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. If you are calling your own Representative, make sure to let him or her know you’re from their district. For each Rep, we’ve listed the counties they represent (below). (Telephone operators will deliver your message to your legislators.
Action message for the Representative Jeff Greer – Chair Banking and Insurance Committee: The payday loan bill (HB 182) deserves a hearing!
Rep. Greer, Kentucky families deserve strong protection from the high costs of payday loans. They shouldn’t have to wait. Please schedule HB 182 for a hearing and support its passage.
Action message for Banking and Insurance committee members (see list below with links)
Please support HB 182, and cap payday loans with a 36% interest rate. Kentucky families deserve strong protection from the high costs of payday loans. They shouldn’t have to wait.
House Banking and Insurance Committee and the counties they represent. Click through to email them!
|Rep. Jeff Greer [Chair]||Bullitt, Hardin, Meade|
|Rep. James R. Comer [Vice Chair]||Cumberland, Green, Metcalf, Monroe|
|Rep. Will Coursey [Vice Chair]||Lyon, Marshall, McCracken (part)|
|Rep. Ron Crimm [Vice Chair]||Jefferson (part)|
|Rep. Mike Denham [Vice Chair]||Bracken, Fleming, Mason|
|Rep. Brent Housman [Vice Chair]||McCracken (part)|
|Rep. Steve Riggs [Vice Chair]||Jefferson (part)|
|Rep. Kevin Sinnette [Vice Chair]||Boyd (part)|
|Rep. Johnny Bell||Barren, Warren (part)|
|Rep. Dwight D. Butler||Breckinridge, Bullitt (part), Daviess (part), Hancock, Hardin (part)|
|Rep. Robert R. Damron||Fayette (part), Jessamine|
|Rep. Ted Edmonds||Breathitt, Estill, Lee|
|Rep. Joseph M. Fischer||Campbell (part)|
|Rep. Danny Ford||Lincoln, Pulaski (part), Rockcastle|
|Rep. Jim Gooch||Daviess (part), Hopkins (part), McLean, Webster|
|Rep. Sara Beth Gregory||McCreary, Pulaski (part), Wayne|
|Rep. Mike Harmon||Boyle, Washington|
|Rep. Dennis Horlander||Jefferson (part)|
|Rep. Dennis Keene||Campbell (part)|
|Rep. Adam Koenig||Boone (part), Campbell (part), Kenton (part)|
|Rep. Brad Montell||Shelby, Spencer (part)|
|Rep. Sannie Overly||Bath, Bourbon, Fayette (part), Nicholas|
|Rep. Ryan Quarles||Fayette (part), Scott|
|Rep. Jody Richards||Warren (part)|
|Rep. Arnold Simpson||Kenton (part)|
|Rep. Wilson Stone||Allen, Simpson, Warren (part)|
|Rep. John Tilley||Christian (part), Trigg (part)|
|Rep. Ken Upchurch||McCreary, Pulaski (part), Wayne|
|Rep. David Watkins||Henderson (part)|